Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stumbling Upon A Deal

Deal Diva Rule #1: No matter where you are or what you are shopping for, ALWAYS keep your eyes open for a deal.

This past week was a hectic week in both my work life and family life, including being assigned a new project at work with an accelerated deadline for completion, planning for Baby D's 2nd birthday party, and scheduling heart surgery for my dad. With everything going on in our lives, it's often difficult for us busy moms to make room for "me"-time, including finding time for this quirky deal hunting hobby. That's why it's particularly important to keep your eyes open for deals everywhere, because these days,
you can't go anywhere without stumbling upon a deal.

Here's some of the deals I stumbled upon this week:


Holiday Gas Station:
Everyone needs gas, right? Gas stations are great places to find deals. While I filled my tank, I took advantage of an 8 cents off per gallon coupon that I received from shopping at Cub Foods, which saved me almost a buck. Then I used a coupon from our local newspaper website (www.startribune.com) to get a free Holiday breakfast sandwich with any purchase.

Target:
On to Target to pick up birthday cards. Have I mentioned how much I love Target? Thanks to Ginger at ATS, I can be even more prepared with what deals to look for when I make a Target run. The biggest deal I found was free Johnson & Johnson Buddies bar soap. They were on sale for $0.99, and I got 6 bars free by using the 2 - $3 off 3 Johnson's coupon in last week's Sunday coupon insert. While I was there, I also stocked up on Barilla pasta (clearanced at $0.38 a box), Vitamin Water (50% off), adorable kid's dinner trays (75% off at $0.74 each), and a few last minute toys for Baby D's birthday (50% off). Backpacks were only 30% off yet, but they will soon go to 75% off, and then I'll pick up a few for the boys.


Cub Foods:
Thanks to Rachel at Common"cents"ical, I stumbled upon a few great deals at the grocery store while picking up Baby D's birthday cake. Powerade Zero was on sale for $0.79. If you buy 6 bottles for $4.74, you receive a coupon for $4 off your next grocery purchase, making it $0.74 net for 6 bottles. Glade Wisp Flameless candles were $6.99 with a $3 coupon off your next purchase. Using the $5 off coupon from the recent Sunday insert resulted in a $1.01 profit. (BTW - These flameless candles are great with little kids in the house!) Finally, Glade Plug-ins were $1.69 with a $2 coupon off your next purchase. This was a no-brainer, even without coupons. Fortunately, I had a Buy 1 Get 1 Free coupon, which netted me two free Plug-ins and a $2.31 profit.



So, whether you are running your normal weekly errands or stopping for gas, it pays to keep a lookout for bargains. As you can see, they are easy to stumble upon anywhere.


What deals have you stumbled upon this week?

No comments: